The day that we all hoped for has arrived. Australia (Aussie) plays New Zealand (the Black Caps) in the World Cup of Cricket, in the final! It’s the match that all the Aussies have been waiting for since that fateful day earlier in the tournament at Eden Park. Because this time the match will be played at that Australian cauldron – the mighty MCG!
Now there are all sorts of reasons that each country thinks that their team will win – the Black Caps are unbeaten in the tournament but this will be the first game played outside their home country; the size of the ground should be on the Aussie side because the Black Caps haven’t played on the MCG for 6 years; the Aussies have got Davey Warner but the Black Caps have got Martin Guptill; the Black Caps have got in form bowlers Boult & Southee but Aussie has got the vicious Mitch’s – Starc & Johnson; the Black Caps have got the extraordinary Baz McCullum as their captain and the Aussie’s have the amazing Captain, Pup Clarke, who has announced that this will be his last game in this format!
And then there is the X Factor in each team. The non – playing 12th men for each team.
For the Aussies, the memory of a long hard season that began with the tragic death, on the cricket field, of their much-loved mate Phillip Hughes. They will want to complete this season with a win for their country, themselves and their little mate.
For the Black Caps, the very public battle of the former New Zealand captain, Martin Crowe, who has been mentor to so many of the batsmen in the team. His column written for espncricinfo was nothing short of gut wrenchingly beautiful. They will want to win for their country, themselves and their great mentor.
So, I have to make a decision on which side of the family fence I will settle on! That is a very complicated thing to do for the following reasons.
- My mother was born in Australia but my father was born in New Zealand.
- My mother has lived in NZ for three times as long as she lived in Australia and is a one-eyed Black Cap supporter.
- I was born in NZ but I married an Australian and have lived in Australia ten years longer than I lived in NZ.
- I have three Australian sons that support the NZ rugby team – as do I.
- My sister & her hubby lived in Australia for around five or so years, during which time they produced a son that was born in Australia but has a Silver Fern tattooed on his shoulder.
- I know this means the world to my homeland of NZ, having never even made the final before. With special mention to my nephew and his mates, known as The Troopers, who attended every Black Cap game in the competition but could not make it to Melbourne for the final.
I could go on and on forever but I have decided to go for my home for 30+ years and support Australia!
I will not be sad if the Black Caps win. The two best sides are playing attacking, aggressive cricket which is a delight to watch. It will hopefully be competitive right down to the last over. I hope it is so close that my mother, brother-in-law & brother all need to walk away from their TV’s at some point because they can’t bear to watch.
There is only one thing that could destroy it for me and that is Shane Warne’s commentary. Let it go, Warnie! Let it go!